Tuesday, May 19, 2020

A few of my favorite blogs

I thought I'd share two of my favorite blogs that have helped me gain a wealth of knowledge about college admissions through the years.  There have been others, but these are the two that have been going strong for years, and the contact is both well-written and insightful.  I think everyone should read them, and read them often.  Start with the current posts or start at the very beginning...they all hold a good dose of awesomeness. 


  • Notes from Peabody  This is a blog specifically about the University of Virginia (UVa).  I happened upon it while helping a student who was applying to UVa in the 2011-2012 school year.  It has been a favorite since, helping me understand college admissions at a deep level.  Dean J, a Dean of Admissions, keeps and writes the blog, which is a virtual treasure-box of information to help any student and parents' understand and calm down about the admissions process!  
  • Study Hacks Blog  Blog written by Cal Newport, renowned Computer Scientist.  Newport currently is a professor at Georgetown, and has written books on student study habits and success within the college admissions arena (which is how I chanced upon him).  His most current blogs and books are now about digital usage, putting forward the idea of "digital minimalism".  This is a fantastic blog to stretch your brain and cause you to evaluate some daily habits.
Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing about tips and ideas that have helped you, or what things you'd like to know more about.