Thursday, May 11, 2017

Don't STOP before you START!

I just read a great post on the NMMI Blog (NMMI:  New Mexico Military Institute) about helping students START their education.  It's important to have both students and parents involved in this, because it often takes BOTH parties working together.  This is critical so that students don't get caught in limbo with the many things that must happen for them to not only apply to college, but to also figure out how to pay for it, register for classes, attend orientation, and begin this whole new adventure.  From watching seniors go through this process many times, I've seen many students have great hopes of attending college--but sadly never got started.  Either the parent or myself...or BOTH of us can help students on this path to success!  You really can't have too many people who are on your side to help, especially with new beginnings!

Just yesterday I spent an hour with one of our seniors planning out her college schedule.  We sat at my computer, navigating the college website, finding the General Education requirements, and understanding the program to register online.  At first, I was clicking on all the buttons--and then I turned it over to her.  I was right there to help, but she began to see how the process worked, and felt better that she could go forward on her own.  She understood how to register, what a "credit" meant, and how building a college schedule actually worked.  We had a great time, and I love to be a part of this as much as any other part of my job!

This student didn't know how to register for classes--but she knew to ask for help!  She simply sent me an email that said, "Mrs. Krim, I don't know how to register, and orientation isn't for another month.  Can you help me?"  That was it--just a simple request for help.

In the previously mentioned post from NMMI, it shows a parent asking for help  (if you didn't click on it before--click here to read it now!).  The important part in this post and the student at our school is that they each ASKED FOR HELP.  Starting is the hardest part of any task, and college is not exempt from that rule!  It's okay--and advisable--to ask for help!

I've been impressed lately by how many 8th and 9th graders have made an appointment to see me, and said, "I know I need to get started...I've been meaning to come see you!"  It's just awesome when students can take this step and reach out for help and guidance.  I hope to see many more students, because these one-on-one appointments can create an individual plan that really focuses on a student's interests and goals.

To make an appointment, just head to the Counseling Office and ask Mrs. Cash for help scheduling one.  Or, send me an *email and I can set up a time as well!  Either way, the important part is to ask for help, and be sure to not "stop" yourself before you ever get started!

*Email Addresses for Mrs. Krim
krim.scholarship@gmail.com
brooke.krim@davinciacademy.org

You can use either one!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing about tips and ideas that have helped you, or what things you'd like to know more about.